A resident has died in a fire which broke out at a home for people with learning disabilities.
The huge blaze started in Connington Crescent, Chingford, north-east London, at 02:14 BST and was out by 05:24.
Eight residents and four carers managed to get out of the three-storey building before firefighters arrived.
Iain Duncan Smith, MP for Chingford, said a neighbour called 999 because residents “didn’t know what the number was”.
When the ten fire crews arrived, two floors and the roof of the building were alight, London Fire Brigade (LFB) said.
Paramedics treated the woman, who lived in “supported living flats” at Connington Court, but she was pronounced dead at the scene.
At its height, 72 firefighters – from Woodford, Chingford, Walthamstow, Enfield and Leytonstone fire stations – were sent to tackle the blaze.
Richard Janssens, station manager for Chigwell, said care home staff were “desperately trying to evacuate the building”.
Mr Janssens said specialist fire investigators in the building “are working in close liaisons with the police officers to find out what the cause of the blaze is and what the circumstances were which led to this tragic fatality”.
One local resident, who works at another care home, said: “It is a big concern because you do worry about your actual residents more than you do for yourself and try to get them out.
“So it is extremely sad news that someone has actually died.”
The building contains two supported living services, Connington Court and Connington House.
The Care Quality Commission (CQC) said the two homes, both run by Sequence Care Group, catered for “adults with learning disabilities who may also have autism, complex needs or behaviours that challenge services”.
Sequence Care Group said it was “shocked” by the death of the resident.
A spokesman added: “The safety and well-being of our residents is always our main concern and while we believe that the processes that we have in place to ensure fire safety are robust, in the light of last night’s events we are carrying out further checks across all of our services.
“We are working closely with the emergency services to establish exactly what happened to cause the fire. It would be inappropriate to make any further comment at this stage.”
Connington House was previously inspected by the CQC in December 2017 where it was given a “good” rating. Connington Court currently has the same rating following its last inspection in September 2016.
Original Source: BBC News
Pyro Fire provide all of our buildings within the central region with annual fire risk assessments as well as advice via the telephone when required. This helps us meet our obligations legally, and assists us with specific knowledge in a subject we are not fully familiar with. We have used Pyro Fire for many years and are extremely happy with the service they provide and would not hesitate to recommend them to.SMS Plc
As a business it is essential to have reliable, professional, experienced partners. Pyro Fire offer an exceptional service, combining expertise with fantastic customer service, I have no hesitation in recommending them.Rejus
Pyro Fire are a thoroughly professional company and I would highly recommend them. I needed a Fire Risk Assessment for my company where we have 4 very large engineering fabrication workshops and adjacent office buildings. Their service was first class and also provided an online portal to edit and track remedial works. I would not hesitate to use them again.Global MSI
Pyro have been looking after our property portfolio for over 2+ years. The level of detail & professionalism is outstanding. From start to finish, from design to completion, the risk assessor has been so honest & detailed in his risk assessments. I have no hesitation in recommending The Pyro team for fire risk assessments.Ryan - Property Developer
Pyro Fire were asked to come and review our fire doors after concerns from a previous fire risk assessment. A few days after the inspection we had our insurance company on-site who reviewed the survey and commented on the great quality of the report. A+ service and now working for one of the largest food manufacturers in the UK, we will be promoting Pyro Fire Services.Bakery in West Yorkshire
I can recommend the Pyro Fire team with confidence as we believe them to be fire specialists that offer a quick turnaround and high quality of service at an affordable price.AGM Safety
Pyro Fire delivered a quality fire risk assessment on our new premises and helped identify areas to improve and regularly review, it makes life so much easier. The speed and efficiency was incredible, thank you!Helm
We would like to take this opportunity to thank Pyro Fire for their help on our project and we look forward to working with them again soon.Lindum Construction
Thanks to Pyro Fire for providing a cost effective quotation and detailed free advice, from working with them on other projects we have been very pleased with the level of service they keep on delivering.Keepmoat Group
The Pyro Fire risk assessor was informative and thorough. I would definitely recommend Pyro Fire to clients and I have forwarded details to head office for future work. Very professional service.Omnia Offices
Wouldn’t recommend any other fire safety and risk assessment engineers. Their knowledge, experience and enthusiasm is far above any other.PSF Maintenance Services
We recommend all our clients and developers to Pyro Fire, their service tops all competitors in the area. If you need a fire risk assessment or any advice their team will be happy to assist. I cannot recommend highly enough!Force 10 Property Management